Tuesday, May 7, 2019

April 2019, Sewing Rundown, Spring Fling and the Classmate Pouch

Many of you know that I moved to Northern Virginia about 2 and half years ago from Atlanta. One of the things that I love about this area is that we have a proper spring! In Atlanta the weather can swing from ice storm to 85 degree days in the span of a couple of days. Here in Virginia, we have our fair share of 60 and 70 degree days, which is a wonderful change. I gave myself until March to sew any winter clothing. So March saw the end of my cold weather clothes. As it turns out, because my life got busy, and I had a number of items to finish up, so I didn’t get a whole lot done. C’est la vie! Make 9 progress How are you doing on your make 9 goals? Mine are pretty slow but that’s why you have 12 whole months to complete them.

So far, I have worked with two of my make 9 fabrics. The latest fabric is my African print wax purchased from G Street Fabrics. This fabric became my Easter dress! I used the Upton dress pattern by Cashmerette Patterns. I chose the pattern because of the beautiful back option that they have. For those who have not run across Cashmerette Patterns, they are a company that are designed for the more curvy amongst us. The patterns go up to a size 28 and an H-cup. If you have trouble finding patterns that fit your curves, this is a great place to look. All that said, I had issues with the pattern because it is designed for someone who is bigger than me. I am 5”2” and have a shoulder length of 3.75 inches. As you can imagine, I spend a lot of time adjusting patterns to fit my petite frame. When making this dress, I had to make the bodice twice. This dress was so worth the time and effort. I think it is beautiful. I am going to Rome next month, and hope to wear it a couple times while I am there. At the beginning of March I finished another one of my favorite tailored skirts. Most importantly I finished a dress that I have been working on for a friend, and I finished the quilt top for my daughter’s graduation quilt. I am the costume designer for the Theater ministry at my church. Last year, the group put on a production of Seussical. Part of the cast gift to the director was Dr. Seuss fabric, to have a dress made from. Her and I have very full schedule, so getting together for fittings was a challenge. I used Butterick 5748 which is a pretty vintage reprint. The dress was a quick make. Since the fabric is slightly see through, I added a cotton batiste lining. Finally, I finished my daughter’s graduation quilt! The quilt is made of 120 log cabin blocks. Whew! We are making the decisions on quilting now, and will get it done before she leaves for college in July.
ASG Happenings I was glad to see so many of you at the Spring Fling. Austin McDonald from Fabric Place Basement told us about some of the lessons he has learned while working in a fabric store for over 30 years. It was a great talk and although he was talking about his retail experiences, these are lessons that can be spread across so many facets of our lives. I hope everyone had a great time. Our next 5th Saturday event will be held on June 30. We will be making the classmate pouch. Please check the website for the flyer and sign up information. We are asking that you sign up by May 15. We will be purchasing the vinyl and hardware for the bags, signing up early will help us get the correct amounts of those items. Please be sure to check out the first Jacket Attack post. I hope to have these out by the last day of each month. The big test is if I am able to actually accomplish that goal! I think by this point I have typed enough. Y’all enjoy this wonderful spring weather and I will be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment