Tuesday, April 2, 2019

March Roundup, Make 9 Progress, Spring Fling, and More Sewing Randomness




I have promised to blog my sewing adventures to help cheer you along in your sewing journey.  First off, I know everyone says this, but, can you believe it is April? We have already blown through the first quarter of the year.  Jeez, I guess I better actually start thinking about starting my resolutions!


Spring Fling
The Spring Fling is a couple of weeks away and we are planning a fun one!  Have you sent in your reservation yet? Michele Parker is emceeing the event.  Austin McDonald from Fabric Place Basement is giving a speech titled “Some Assembly Required”.  A little birdie told me that Austin will also be bringing a couple gifts from the store as door prizes.


I will be filling you in on all of our plans for 5th Saturday events, and the 2019 challenge “Jacket Attack”. We will have our Spring Fling fashion show. Come ready to share your latest make! We will also have a table for a fabric swap, so bring in that piece of fabric in you stash that makes you ask yourself “Why did I buy this?”.


Make 9 Progress
I have now completed one garment in my make 9 fabric and am well on my way with the second fabric.  Fabric number two will be my Easter dress! It is a beautiful African Print wax fabric that I bought at G Street in my Spring fabric buying spree.  I am making the Cashmerette Upton dress. I have run into some problems with the bodice. The same problems I always have. I have a petite frame, with a big bust.  So I end up having to size up the bust, but size down the back and shoulders. In a sleeveless dress I also have to raise the armscye. I have had some issues, but I am getting there!


5th Saturdays
If you missed the 5th Saturday in March where Adrienne Bennett demonstrated embroidered buttons, you missed a fun time!  It was so surprising how truly unique and beautiful buttons can be constructed so quickly, and with not a lot of work. If you are not into hand embroidery, Adrienne also showed us some ideas for using an embroidery machine and flower foot on a regular sewing machine.



I hope that you can join us on June 29 for the Classmate Pouch Sew-a-long.  The class will be held at the Centreville Regional Library. Be on the lookout for a flyer coming to your inbox soon!

I am sure you have heard, but make sure you keep your calendars open for August 31 for our Quilts of Valor quilting bee.  We plan to have a grill out and lots of snacks to keep you energized as we make a quilt for a Veteran!


Sewing Randomness
The ASG will hold their Annual Conference in Danvers, Massachusetts on August 1-4.  Registration just opened up. Are you planning on attending? Let me know, maybe we can have a NOVA ASG dinner while we are there.


Stitch Sew Shop in Alexandria has moved to a new location at 1219 King Street.  I know Kalle is planning to load up that bigger space with lots of fabric and plenty of room for classes.


I know many of us follow sewing blogs.  Sadly, Vatsla Watkins from Fashion Behind the Seams passed away after having been missing for over a week.  I am not sure of all of the circumstances, but I do know that she has two small children.  My heart just breaks for the whole family. If you could, would you please send your prayers and good energy to her family?

Happy Sewing!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment