Robert Hines of Sun Sew Vac (7770 Richmond Hwy Suite E; www.sunsewvac.com) presented the Alexandria Seamsters January program at Hancock Fabrics. He gave us “Tips for Sewing Machine Maintenance,” and I was really surprised by a couple of them. I’ve always felt like I do a good job of maintaining my machines, but I fail on these two items, but I won’t any longer!
- Oil your machine after every 2 hours of sewing (1/4 drop at appropriate places).
- Change your needle after every 2 hours of sewing (he finds regular needles work fine).
- Use a mini-vacuum attachment set to clean outside of machine and in bobbin area. (DO NOT use compressed air or blow into the machine.)
- Use a surge protector for each machine (don’t confuse with a power strip).
- Use best quality thread you can afford.
- Have professional maintenance every year, at least & maybe more often depending on the amount of sewing done.